Imaginary Engineer - Yale SOM '08

Industrial Engineer dreaming of an MBA

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Wharton Interview

Today I finally had my Wharton interview. After getting no responses from 4 alumni in SF, I finally was able to schedule one before Thanksgiving. I'm so glad I chose to do an alumni interview over on-campus because I lucked out and had an interviewer who was also a Boy Scout and also graduated from Berkeley (Cal crushed Stanfurd in the big game last Sat, go bears!). Because we had things in common, the interview started on a positive tone and went very smoothly. The questions were very similar to the Yale interview (why did you choose your school/major? describe chronologically your career path. why an MBA? why Wharton? why now? what would you do if you got rejected? describe professional/personal qualities/achievements...) and there were no hard questions like describe your 3 worst qualities. Another advantage to an alumni interview is you are not necessarily confined to the time constraints as you would be if you had to reserve a specific time slot on-campus. I was fortunate to have a long interview (a little over an hour) that let me get across my main points that I wanted to express. I felt the Yale interview (on campus) was too short and I didn't articulate everything that I intended for the interviewer to learn. The good part is at this point, my application is complete and now the only thing for me to do is wait for a decision. I know I put forth my best effort, so I won't be too crushed if I get rejected everywhere. I'm still nervous because similar to Yale, half of the candidates that get interviewed get rejected. Ahwells, time to flip a coin!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home