Imaginary Engineer - Yale SOM '08

Industrial Engineer dreaming of an MBA

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Stanfurd Essay's are tough

I am totally clueless how to write the two Stanfurd essays. I literally count how many times the cursor blinks in MS Word (56/min) and compare that to how many time an aim window blinks (25/min). I tried writing first drafts in August/September but because I had no idea what to do, I focused on the other schools and decided to apply Round 2 (maybe 3). You would think I'd be pretty focused by now because I wrote so many essays for other schools, but these broad topics are really really tough.

Topic 1: What matters to you, and why?
My family and friends matter most to me, but I don't know how personal this essay should be. Also, I'm still focusing on getting into business school, and have so many other experiences I want to write about that doesn't really relate to this topic. I've written good stories for other schools on topics like leadership or teamwork, but they don't relate to why my family matters so much to me. If I include them, it'll look like I'm cutting and pasting from other college essays and not answering the question; If I leave them out, I'd be missing a lot of good stories to help ADCOM see personal attributes........ ack ....

Topic 2: How do you plan to achieve your learning objectives at Stanford? How do you see your career developing?
This question is a little easier, similar to the Why MBA, Why Now questions of other schools. However, it's still difficult because part of me doesn't want to go to Stanford. I really am partial to Berkeley, and think Haas would offer such a richer experience. The only reason why I'd even consider Stanford is their brand and name recognition. I wasn't particularly impressed with the campus/students and I fear I will sound fake when writing this essay... BLAAAAH

I hope I get into Wharton so I don't even have to finish the Stanford app

1 Comments:

  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger Linda Abraham said…

    It is tough to right convincingly that you want to go to school X when you don't really want to go. Perhaps you can save yourself a lot of trouble and apply to schools that you are more enthusiastic about.

    For general tips on writing Stanford's essays, please see http://accepted.typepad.com/admissions_almanac/2005/08/stanford_gsb_20.html .

    In writing about your family and why it is important to you, if at all possible also show how it has spurred you to take intiative, act, and innovate. Perhaps the teamwork and leadership stories you used in other schools' essays won't work. This is a much more personal essay, and perhaps those stories will work better in Essay B where you will discuss your goals and reasons for wanting an MBA.

    Good luck!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home