Imaginary Engineer - Yale SOM '08

Industrial Engineer dreaming of an MBA

Monday, April 10, 2006

East Coast Trip

In planning my east coast trip, I had to consider the following constraints:

-avoid red-eyes at all possible costs
-Need to be at Yale on April 21-22
-Visit buddy @ Columbia over the weekend
-Need to visit Wharton and MIT during a weekday
-I have 2 free Southwest rapid rewards tix (doing one leg flights are free)
-Southwest doesn't fly into JFK or LGA (only Long Island)
-Southwest does fly into Bradley and Philadelphia..
-I can only take a vacation from 4/20 -> 4/26, and I need a full day at home to do errands

After listing all of my alternatives in Excel, I chose the following cheapest option:

Thursday, April 20
-Fly all day from OAK -> BDL (layover in Vegas gives me 1 hr to hit the airport bars and possible $0.25 slots)
-check out the night scene in New Haven (exciting..)

Friday, April 21
-Welcome weekend festivities

Saturday, April 22
-look at apts in the afternoon, take the train over to NYC for dinner
-check out NYC on a Saturday Night (EXCITING!!)

Sunday, April 23
-be a tourist in NYC until afternoon
-take 4-hr bus to Boston late afternoon
-check out Boston on a Sunday Night (exciting..)

Monday, April 24
-Tour MIT
-sit in on class
-Stop by ADCOM to say "hullo, I really like you"
-fly to Philadelphia late afternoon (cheap and quick rapid rewards point)
-check out Philadelphia night life (exciting..)

Tuesday, April 25
-Tour Wharton
-Grab lunch with current student
-Stop by ADCOM to say "hullo, I really like you"
-Fly home Tuesday Night (zzzzzzzzz.....)

Wednesday, April 25
-Finish my errands, get ready to submit my Yale deposit $$


I'm definitely excited to visit all three schools. If by some miracle I get off one of the waitlists, I figure it would be good to get a taste of student life before forking over my deposit. As of right now, my ranked preferences are:

1) Sloan (top resources for Operations/Supply Chain Management)
2) Wharton (amazing brand with tons of electives to choose from)
3) Yale (amazing people, potentially amazing experience with new curriculum)

Who knows, maybe my east coast trip will change some of my perspectives, but I'll be sure to take lots of pictures to share with everyone.

10 Comments:

  • At 7:11 PM, Blogger Fritz Van de Kamp said…

    Good idea to visit MIT and Wharton. Personally I would send a follow up letter after you visit reaffirming interest and telling them about your visit. Don't know those school's policies though. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." I think that's partly how I got off the waitlist at Haas. Good luck!

     
  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger i_will_make_it said…

    Gotta love excel. :-) Sounds like a really packed trip, and you must be excited! Have a blast and give us an update when you're back! Particularly would love to hear about Sloan. Thanks again for e-mailing your friend for me. Really appreciate it! Oh, and why are all these admit weekends the same time? Chi and UCLA are both that weekend as well, so I'm headed to Chi.

     
  • At 8:57 PM, Blogger Marina said…

    I promised to make t-shirts with "I heart Excel" for my CBS Team SF members. I'll make sure one is left over for you :)

    the Boston bus is not bad at all, but I did over eat at the chinese buffet pit stop. ack.

    you are way smarter then me with the plan to avoid the red eye.

     
  • At 12:24 PM, Blogger BigAppleNosh said…

    Ah, looks like we might just miss each other. I'm heading to MIT on the 20th and getting back to NYC on the 22nd (evening). Then off I go to NYU for 23rd and the 24th. Let me know if you're up for anything on the 22nd (evening) in NYC!

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger Vikram said…

    Thank you for the wishes.

    4-11 - sounds good :)

    Try chinatown bus from NYC to Boston. It is the cheapest. If not greyhound is always there.

    Let me know if you have any free time when you are in NYC. We can meet sometime.

     
  • At 8:55 PM, Blogger Jerry Blank said…

    Ouch. Yale is your third choice?

    I'm sure that will change once you visit. :)

    The places you're looking at . . . how did you find them? The forum?

     
  • At 5:04 PM, Blogger i_will_make_it said…

    If I hear nothing from Stanford, then you can probably visit me in Chicago next year. :-)

     
  • At 1:15 AM, Blogger KV said…

    Any of those 3 schools would be a blast. Regardless, enjoy your trip to the east coast. When will you find out if you made the Apprentice?

     
  • At 6:29 AM, Blogger Marina said…

    a. I suck at swimming. Maybe I can be the head Baywatch chick who does the office work and scheduling?
    b. I am sad to say it was a bendi straw =/

     
  • At 11:13 AM, Blogger i_will_make_it said…

    MIT - don't make my life more difficult than it has to be. ;-) j/k. I love Sloan's culture, entrepreneurial spirit, strength in tech (of course), it's Boston!!, and being a top 5 program you can't go wrong. But I'm wondering if I should be in an environment with (as Ash puts it) "fewer of my types." Hmm... let me know your thoughts on Sloan after your visit!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home