Imaginary Engineer - Yale SOM '08

Industrial Engineer dreaming of an MBA

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Happy Pi Day

Happy Pi Day everyone! In order to celebrate one of the most famous irrational numbers on 3/14 at 1:59 AM, I decided to post a nerdy math blog. What does pi have to do with the MBA application process? Well both are irrational and never seem to have an end. I started my Wharton App in August '05 when they posted the essay questions online (first school to do so). Because I hate procrastinating, I finished my app well before the October deadline, yet it is 3/14 and I still don't have a decision. I may hear some update when R2 decisions are released this Thursday, but this process is wayyy too long. I can't imagine applying to a job and waiting over 6 months to hear back.

For those with too much free time and nothing to do like me, here is one way to calculate pi:


Probably a more practical way of celebrating Pi Day is just eating a good pie or pineapple. I haven't decided what to do yet, but something tells me that I'll probably figure out the 1,000th digit of Pi before I hear back from Wharton or MIT.

On a more random note celebrating nerdy math, here's an interesting proof I found on the internet a few years back:


I think the next geeky holiday is Mole Day on 6/02 at 10:23 AM. I hate chemistry, but I'm sure there's a fun way to celebrate that day.

13 Comments:

  • At 2:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    it's nice that we're giving moles a holiday. it's only fair since groundhog's have had one for so long.

     
  • At 2:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    or you could watch the movie pi. wait, YOU ALREADY DID! hahahahaha

     
  • At 2:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i don't even know how to type pi on the freakin computer

     
  • At 2:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    *woof*

     
  • At 6:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    This Girl=Evil has been going around for a long time

     
  • At 7:48 AM, Blogger qzoink said…

    How about calculating 22/7? That would give you a value of pi, the longer you keep at it, the more digits you'll get.

     
  • At 10:12 AM, Blogger i_will_make_it said…

    I always do 22/7 too. If girls = evil, then why do the men empty my pockets? :*-(

    Money = Greed (Definition)
    Men = Money (Definition)

    Therefore, Men = Greed (transitive property).

    Just messing with you. ;-) Happy Pi Day!! W will deliver the good news soon!

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    woah where did tuji come from

     
  • At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    22/7 is definitely not pi. Stop the lies.

     
  • At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you can use 22/7 if you want to be wrong

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    *woof*

     
  • At 5:13 AM, Blogger BigAppleNosh said…

    Mmmmm....pi(e).

    ;o)

     
  • At 12:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home