Imaginary Engineer - Yale SOM '08

Industrial Engineer dreaming of an MBA

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Supplemental Information for MIT Sloan Waitlist

I ran a google search for "MIT Sloan Waitlist" and my blog was the first hit! Maybe because I had a previous post with the exact phrase, but I'm surprised there aren't that many resources available for those on the waitlist. Accepted.com has an archived chat transcript with MIT ADCOM members from Feb 2005 that had some good information. The key message I got from that chat is MIT is looking for candidates to show continued interest, but not to go too crazy with the phone calls. Jon McLaughlin, Assistant Director of MBA Admissions said:

For us, we encourage a limited number of updates if they are significant and relevant. The types of information we have found useful (in no particular, with no order) are usually a short letter of continued interest, a recommendation that sheds new light (hard to do), an update on a significant career or personal event relevant to us (i.e. a promotion, deepened extra curricular) and any insights from a visit or conversation. There is judgment involved here, and too much is definitely too much. I get flooded with emails that don't contain a lot of information.

I want to address weaknesses in my application (i.e. undergrad GPA, extra-curriculars) but I have nothing new to add because I already addressed my weaknesses in my optional essay in the original application. Contrary to my friend who got into Stanford GSB last year off the waitlist by networking to find an influential alumni to write an amazing rec, I don't know any influential Sloan alumni nor do I have my friend's networking skills to find one. I have nothing significant to update, but I want to do everything I can to improve my position on the waitlist. I've decided that the only thing I'll do is to write a new letter to the admissions director.

I've already written a rough draft of my letter and so far it's pretty concise - down to one page. I basically wrote a little paragraph on why I love Sloan and the rest of my letter was designed to show my personality and how I get passionate about work and life. Sloan's interview was behavioral and probed into past experiences to learn about a candidate, so I included a short story of an important work experience that I hope will show ADCOM something new and how hungry I am to get in off the waitlist.

The last part of my letter is controversial and I'm not sure if I should include it. Several of my friends who have proofread my first draft suggested I take it out, but another suggested I expand on it. I summarized my business school application status by mentioning my Yale admit and Wharton waitlist. I didn't want to sound like I was "bragging" about Yale, but it seems Sloan may be interested to know what my backup options are. Most people agree that Sloan, especially for my industry, is ranked higher than Yale, but ADCOM should psychologically feel better knowing that they were able to recruit someone over Yale. I'm not sure there's any value added for mentioning the Wharton waitlist, but had I been accepted to both schools, I would have definitely chosen Sloan. I'm still undecided about mentioning and updating my business school status in this letter, but at least I get another shot at trying to convince ADCOM why I'm a good candidate.

7 Comments:

  • At 6:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ooohhh playing mind games with adcom. my vote would be to leave out the line (re: yale/wharton) but then again, what do i know?

     
  • At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'd take it out - agree with the other poster - you don't want to play mind games with adcom.

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger Linda Abraham said…

    Write them about Yale closer to the time you will have to commit to Yale. At that time, tell MIT you prefer MIT to Yale, but are approaching Decision day.

    For tips on your letter now, please see http://blog.accepted.com/acceptedcom_blog/2006/1/17/admissions-tip-waitlist-letters.html .

     
  • At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My advice would be to leave out the Yale/Wharton info for now. As an MIT alum, I'll offer you this tidbit: MIT is an amazingly open and accepting community. That being said, members of the MIT community can be quite elitist, and the worst offenders I met were those in administrative positions at the Institute. If you were to let the adcom know you had an offer from Yale, my guess is you'd encounter some of that elitism, which might negatively impact your position. Linda's advice sounds good here; write them a standard letter now, but do let them know you prefer MIT to Yale closer to decision day.

    Along the same vein, MIT is very protective of its community. It prides itself on its quirky, geeky atmosphere, and you are likely to score points if you can find someone to vouch for you in that area. Of course, Sloan alumni/students would be nice, but I'm willing to bet that a nod from anyone affiliated with the MIT community would be in your favor. Think to coworkers, past professors, etc. MIT is very concerned about people fitting well into its odd (but amazingly wonderful) community. :)

    As always, just someone else's $0.02.

     
  • At 12:45 AM, Blogger brownoski said…

    Thanks for the great advice everyone! I'm sending the letter without the Yale/Wharton references but am definitely open to send another letter as decision day for Yale looms

     
  • At 8:03 PM, Blogger Marina said…

    I don't understand how you can watch Laguna Beach. I have a few male friends that watch it and I often question their heterosexuality over beers.

    What is the Girl Next Door all about??

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home