Imaginary Engineer - Yale SOM '08

Industrial Engineer dreaming of an MBA

Thursday, January 12, 2006

MIT Sloan Entrepreneurship

I can't believe it but my MIT Sloan interview is next week. December seemed to crawl by but January is zooming! As I'm doing research on MIT, I'm finding that Entrepreneurship seems big there. I don't know of any other school that has a competition like the MIT 50k. As I read the case studies of past winners, Entrepreneurship seems like a very exciting career path for after business school. I never really considered it before but there is something alluring about being your own boss. Because I have ADD, I quickly changed my focus from researching MIT interviews to possible ideas to submit to the competition. Even if I don't get into MIT, I may end up pursuing Entrepreneurship at Yale or Wharton (slim slim possibility of latter). It seems regardless of what school I end up going to, if I have a good idea and the passion for it, I can be successful (although certain alumni networks may make it easier).

If I were accepted at MIT, my entry to this competition would look something like this: a tivo-like radio device for one's car. I enjoy driving my sexy Audi and listening to the radio, but I hate commercials and I hate waiting for the traffic report. If there was a tivo-like device which constantly records radio signals based on user preferences, I would buy it with no hesitation. Imagine clicking on a traffic button and you can rewind and hear the latest traffic clip on your whim. Or if you love a certain Coldplay song that just came out, you can listen to it over and over and over again. After fast forwarding through the commercials, you can listen to your favorite talk show or morning show as you drive an alternate route because you found out there was a big accident. Lastly, if you're stuck in your car during a big sport moment, you can relive the excitement over and over with such a device. I missed the Duke/Virginia Tech game this year but if I had such a device in my car, I could've listened to the play by play of that amazing shot Duke made from half court at the buzzer to win. With memory cards so tiny and cheap, and sound files are smaller than video, it seems like Tivo can make the device easily. I hope someone from Tivo is reading this so I can buy one really soon!

6 Comments:

  • At 2:16 PM, Blogger Single said…

    pod casts? all you need is an internet connection in your car, a subsscription service that you pre-register for, and an ipod.

    Good luck with your sloan interview, mine is the same day .

     
  • At 2:52 PM, Blogger Alex said…

    to help prep for the interview: http://clearadmit.jot.com/SloanInterview

    good luck!

     
  • At 1:25 AM, Blogger brownoski said…

    Alex thanks for the link, that's some great info!

    Tycoon, Blah thanks for the feedback! The product I was envisioning was for regular radio (not sirius) and I don't have an internet connection in my car. I don't know much about the battery situation but I'm sure a smart engineer can figure it out (tiny cell phone batteries last forever). There are a million issues I haven't really thought about and another million reasons why it'll probably fail, but it sure is fun thinking about new products!

     
  • At 2:21 AM, Blogger Rajat said…

    Good luck on your Sloan interview. I have mine on 19th too.

     
  • At 8:10 PM, Blogger Marina said…

    Good luck! The interview questions bank is awesome. We'll definitely have to organize a second Beer Challenge sometime soon.

     
  • At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home