Imaginary Engineer - Yale SOM '08

Industrial Engineer dreaming of an MBA

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Wharton Waitlist Instructions

According to my waitlist email:

• In the spirit of fairness and equity, we will not accept additional materials for inclusion in your application.

I wonder if the waitlist process is a hidden test to see if candidates REALLY want to go to a particular school. It's kind of like when some people say "let's not exchange presents this Christmas " but get mad when you don't get them a present after they break their own rule and buy you a present. Similarly, I wonder if Wharton is testing to see if waitlist candidates will go out of their way to write them a letter saying "puhleeze let me in, I love Wharton to death, etc etc." I usually follow directions, but I wonder if it would help if I wrote one of those corny letters (business schools want to attract people that have a certain drive and are willing to go beyond the norm). The realistic side of me says Wharton ADCOM is way too busy to read additional materials, but if I wrote such a letter, would it hurt?

I talked with someone who got into Stanford Business School off the waitlist, but he wasn't any help. He said he received similar instructions, but he found an influential alumni through his network to vouch for his passion to go to Stanford. He doesn't know if he would've gotten in anyways, but having an alumni speak on your behalf sure does help.

Unfortunately, I do not have that kind of network, nor do I feel comfortable asking a friend of a friend of a friend to say good things about me when that person doesn't even know me. Also, I don't think I could even write that corny letter because it'd probably sound fake (I really would be happy attending Yale). However, I do want to show Wharton that I have that drive/hunger to succeed in business but I guess they already have that information in my essays. Alas, I'll do nothing and sit around dreaming of New Haven (Bschool is only 32 weeks away!!!)

3 Comments:

  • At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wait lists are tough! Stanford wants additional material, Columbia makes you chase them like a dog, HBS says stay away (and they mean it!), and Wharton... well, I think Wharton is somewhere in between them all. Whatever you do, good luck with it. Thanks for posting your blog on admissions411.com. Please check back to see how the Wharton wait list is shaping up. Regards

     
  • At 12:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
    »

     
  • At 12:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home