Imaginary Engineer - Yale SOM '08

Industrial Engineer dreaming of an MBA

Saturday, January 07, 2006

I'm a Lame Duck

After getting into business school, it's becoming increasingly difficult to maintain focus at work. How can I concentrate when I know I'll be gone in a few months. My co-workers and managers know I'll be leaving (bad mistake to open my big fat mouth so early) so it just feels really awkward to continue working. This makes me wonder what lame duck politicians do when they are not re-elected. In those final weeks before they end office, they might as well just go on vacation because it's pointless for them to make decisions that would represent a constituency that didn't vote for them. Similarly, I wish I could take one big fat happy vacation (7 months) before school starts........ too bad I need to save more money and my lease on my apt doesn't end till May...............

The best part of being a lame duck - leaving work early. I would feel guilty, but there's nothing my manager can do. He wants to make sure I leave the company on good terms (the company definitely wants me to return) so he can't fire me. Part of me feels guilty for taking advantage of my situation, but after working my butt off for the past 4 years, nothing beats chugging beer at Harry's in Pac Heights on a Thursday.

6 Comments:

  • At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what you end up doing as a lame duck just might show a lot about your character.

     
  • At 12:40 PM, Blogger Marina said…

    I love Harry's. I am totally in the same boat and being pretty unproductive at work....but then again I am not challenged enough :)

     
  • At 1:18 AM, Blogger brownoski said…

    I hope people don't get the impression that I'm completely flaking on responsibilities; rather, I'm taking this unique time in my life to have a life beyond work. As a work-a-holic, "leaving work early" means actually having time to do something social after work.

     
  • At 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Honestly, who gives a crap what your manager thinks of you?!

    If I were your manager I and found out you were accepted into an MBA program I would do my best to ensure your transition out of the company was a smooth one. That is, I would begin transferring your responsibilities to other people.

    The bottom line: I would be helping you not trying to be a a**.

    This is the problem with 90% of middle-management today: 1) they are only concerned with themselves and not concerned with the people working for them and 2) they become intimidated when one of their subordinates tries to get ahead.

     
  • At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The lame duck club is fun as long as you can deal with boredom and not feel guilty goofing off as your last day draws near.

     
  • At 12:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home