Imaginary Engineer - Yale SOM '08

Industrial Engineer dreaming of an MBA

Sunday, March 05, 2006

So much powder

Lots of rain in the Bay Area translates to heavy powder in Tahoe. Throw in a clear Saturday, and you have ingredients for, not the perfect storm but the perfect ski day with fresh, clean, virgin powder. After scouring the weather reports on Thursday and Friday (in between reading blogs and businessweek forums), I knew Saturday would be one of the best Tahoe days of the season. Instead of going to the Cal/USC final home game, I opted to tear up Northstar with my freshly waxed skis. The best part of the trip was discovering a new favorite run. If you take a right off the Lookout Mountain chair lift and ski down the border by the picnic bench, you'll find the deepest powder in Tahoe. At one point, I skied past a tiny little tree whose branch caught my right knee and I found myself tumbling and landing in waist-deep powder. As I lay in the snow, I thought this is what it must feel like to lie on a million pillows.

I hope the ski conditions in Vermont are similar to that of Tahoe because I don't know if I can survive two consecutive powderless winters. With only 12.5 weeks left in the Bay Area, it seems like I won't have enough time to complete my Bay Area checklist. Ah wells, I guess I'll need to start a new checklist for So Cal. Any ideas?

8 Comments:

  • At 5:43 AM, Blogger ... said…

    Powder and eastern skiing...normally don't go together. You'll get some good stuff at Killington...but honestly I've heard (but have never experienced) that Jay Peak is the best in the NE. Similar to Jackson b/c it's not commercialized:

    http://www.jaypeakresort.com/

     
  • At 5:43 AM, Blogger ... said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 7:11 AM, Blogger SgHama said…

    ooooooooooh... i'm jealous. you won't find powder like that out east as far as i know - it's all hard pack.

     
  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger Marina said…

    I am SO jealous

     
  • At 6:10 PM, Blogger i_will_make_it said…

    Wow. Those are awesome pictures. Man, I still haven't been to tahoe!! I'm missing out!

    Thanks again for the Sloan tips. Really made me mentally prepared. Whew! Yes, the adcom kept asking me, "But I thought Cali people want to stay in Cali?" So I tried to convince her that 1) I love Boston and 2) I love to move around. :-P Hopefully it worked.

     
  • At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    eat@manna.....um....i can only think of food related activities.

     
  • At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    this is why cal is and always will be the best school ever http://rangelife.typepad.com/rangelife/2006/03/victoria_not_vi.html

     
  • At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home