Imaginary Engineer - Yale SOM '08

Industrial Engineer dreaming of an MBA

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Welcome Weekends

I think the hardest part about being waitlisted is the fact that I am not invited to each school's Welcome Weekend. Because I would be torn between Columbia and Yale, the Welcome Weekend experience would play a significant role in helping me decide which business school is best for me. Besides seeing the actual school environment, I would meet potential classmates and get a true feel of how happy I would be at that school.

Because of all the recent MIT and Columbia updates, I nearly forgot that I am still theoretically in contention at Wharton. Similar to the MIT Waitlist Chat on Accepted.com, there's an archived chat for Wharton Waitlisted folks. After seeing application stats like 4% jump at Yale and 30% jump at Haas, I fear this is the wrong year to be on any waitlist because so many more people are applying for the same number of seats (after two consecutive down years). Don't get me wrong, I'm still thrilled to have the opportunity to go to Yale, but I wish I could attended each school's Welcome Weekend to get an honest feel on what school is best for me.

7 Comments:

  • At 5:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey brownoski, did u consider just heading over to these waitlist schools and sitting in 2 days worth of classes anyway?

    i'm doing this and just eating up some of my vacation days that i've banked.. i figure its worth it, just to make the more informed decision.

     
  • At 10:47 PM, Blogger i_will_make_it said…

    I have to say gladiatorma's got a point, especially with whatever your top choice school is. Then following up with adcom afterwards about how the visit reinforced [the school] to be your #1 choice and why. ;-)

    Thanks for the Sloan tips! It seems my SF hub interview is with J.S. How did you feel about this interview being non-blind in comparison to other schools? Did your interviewer specifically ask you q's prompted from your app?

    And if you're free Friday night, we're hoping to get bay area ppl together for drinks. If you're interested, let us know! :-)

     
  • At 10:55 PM, Blogger brownoski said…

    Good ideas guys, I'm planning on taking a week off in April to do an East Coast trip. I haven't set an exact schedule yet, but I'll probably fly into Philadelphia to check out Wharton, then hop over to Boston, NY to see MIT and Columbia. Even if I get rejected off the waitlist before I visit the schools, I think it'd be cool just to see the differences first hand.

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger i_will_make_it said…

    Thanks for recapping your experience w/ Sloan. He just opened up your transcript on the spot, huh? Wow. Time to prepare so I can speak to some of my low scores. "Uhhh... I just didn't study hard enough??" :-P So it looks like I need stay tapped into the "engineer in me."

    Awesome. Thanks again! Look forward to seeing you tom!

     
  • At 12:29 PM, Blogger Jerry Blank said…

    Actually, that 4% jump at Yale was for last year. (The article is dated January 2005.) This year's jump is supposedly much higher. It doesn't change your point - that this year is much more competitive. I just hate seeing incorrect numbers bandied about. LOL. (Not your fault, I know. Someone put it up on BW forum and nobody noticed the date.)

    I wasn't able to go to Yale's admit weekend last year because I was on the waitlist, which really sucked. But visiting the school gave me a pretty good feel for it; so I'm glad to hear you plan on doing just that with your waitlisted schools.

    I'm looking forward to meeting you at Welcome Weekend.

     
  • At 8:47 AM, Blogger Marina said…

    haha well i definitely was not the one who won this time! I am glad you came out, we should definitely do this more often!

     
  • At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home