Imaginary Engineer - Yale SOM '08

Industrial Engineer dreaming of an MBA

Monday, May 08, 2006

Napa, TV, and Deferred Enrollment

Napa Update:

Sunday was a beautiful day for the Napa trip with Marina and Foobar. The sun was shining, skies were clear, and it wasn't too hot. After stopping by the visitor's bureau, we found a fantastic deal where we could wine taste at 6 different wineries for $10. Each winery had a distinct feel, and it was interesting to see the differences between a big commercial winery versus a small mom and pop shop. My favorite part of the trip was snacking on crackers with different spreads and cheeses (nothing beats the duck pate, but the walnut cheese is up there). I will definitely not forget the koi fish that loved to drink the white wine.

TV Update:
Craigslist is too awesome. I listed my TV for $500 thinking I wouldn't be able to sell it for a few weeks. Within a few hours, I got over 5 responses and it was sold on Saturday (last thing I watched was the Suns/Lakers Game 7 massacre). The bad news is that I will have to live without my TV and favorite shows for the rest of May (what happened on West Wing?). Interestingly enough, I started playing Starcraft again (it's been like 5 years) and I haven't forgotten a single hot key.

Deferred Enrollment (Yale SOM):

I guess there are too many students for Yale SOM '08. They intended a total class size of 180 (3 cohorts) but ~223 have already accepted offers from Round 1 and 2 (yikes for Round 3 folks). They specifically mentioned that they want to keep the class with 3 cohorts, so the question becomes, does anyone want to defer enrollment?

Historically, we have only granted deferrals in cases where unforeseen circumstances prevented an admitted applicant from matriculating. However, due to the overwhelmingly positive response to SOM's new curriculum plans, we have experienced an unprecedented 50% increase in our yield year-to-year. Therefore, we are able to relax our deferral policy for the Class of 2008 to some degree. If you are interested in deferring your enrollment, please contact the Admissions Office at xxxxx@yale.edu as soon as possible.

To defer or not to defer, that is the question.

Pros:
-Can reapply to Wharton if I don't get in off the waitlist (improve essays)
-Save up $$$
-Not be the first class with the new curriculum and let the bugs/kinks get worked out
-Possibly take more time off and travel extensively
-Enjoy California one more year
-Cal Football is going to have a breakout year, I can get season tix to watch it all!

Cons:
-Miss sharing some fabulous experiences with the class of 2008
-One year less of post-MBA salary
-Possible different chemistry in class of 2009 vs 2008
-I already gave my termination notice to my employer, what would I do for an entire year?
-Already sold most of my big furniture


16 Working Days left!!

8 Comments:

  • At 7:13 PM, Blogger fromcali said…

    Glad you had fun at Napa, sorry I couldn't make it. :( And sorry the last thing you watched was that massacre. What a way to go.

    Deferral question - that's tough. When do you have to decide? Can you wait for Wharton R3 d-day?

    i wouldn't be concerned about one year less of post-MBA salary...it's also one year less of post-MBA stress.

    The key question is how important is it to go to school this year vs. go to Wharton?

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I suppose the class of 2009 will have a harder time getting in if you consider the deferrals plus the smaller class size. Glad I'm not them.

     
  • At 8:44 PM, Blogger laserlikefocus said…

    This is crazy! One more proof of the bschool applicant explosion this year.

     
  • At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I emailed SOM's adcom and they told me we have until May 24th to decide whether we wish to defer or not.

    I'm also contemplating to defer to go to Asia to study Mandarin for a year. I'm quite torn and not sure what to do.

    To defer or not to defer indeed!

     
  • At 5:51 PM, Blogger i_will_make_it said…

    Aww. Wish I could have gone. Sounds like you guys had a blast! So any more thoughts on the Yale situation? Wow. That's interesting this year has changed so much for them in terms of the curriculum, cutting class size, and then increase in yield.

    Congrats on the tv sale!

     
  • At 9:51 AM, Blogger KV said…

    Cal football season tickets.....oh my...I'm way jealous....

     
  • At 6:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like Yale's SOM pulled and 'ole airline trick: overbooking...

    are they offering you free dinner tickets?? lol..

    I am assuming that a deferrment means you do not have to re-apply?

     
  • At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home