Imaginary Engineer - Yale SOM '08

Industrial Engineer dreaming of an MBA

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Summer Update 1

So I'm finally back home with my parents in Southern California. It's been nearly a week and I haven't fully unpacked yet (i'm on ueber lazy bum mode). Laundry took 3 days and my room is still a mess. Other than that, it's been an awesome first week. I've missed my mom's cooking and all the comforts of living at home. I also forgot how hot it is down here. It's been a long time since I've spent a summer at home, and I've converted to all shorts/reefs attire. The only time I put on a pair of socks was to go golfing on Saturday.

Rolling over my 401(k) isn't as easy as I thought. Apparently my current plan thinks I'm still employed so I have to wait at least 30 days for them to confirm my termination status to let me rollover my funds. Even though I won't be dipping into my 401(k) funds until next year (lower tax bracket) to help pay off tuition, it sucks that I have to wait for my money.

Health Insurance... I'm still trying to figure out if I get one month extra coverage after termination... Otherwise I'm uninsured until my school health plan starts in August!

My grandparents are also visiting this week to look at retirement homes in the area to settle down. After spending the last couple days driving them around all the "Leisure Worlds" in Laguna Beach and Seal Beach, I realize old people are really funny. They don't give a crap about how they look or what they say. No one dares to correct their "political incorrectness" and its just hilarious to see my grandfather cuss at everything.

Checklist Update
-I wasn't able to finish all the bay area items, but I hope to come back once during the summer
-Flying out to Yale/NY June 20-23 to find my amazing apartment (still hunting)
-I have a lot of items in my So Cal checklist to do, and only ~10 weeks left to do them!!

1 Comments:

  • At 8:46 PM, Blogger Marina said…

    I'll be in NY June 20-25. We should meet up if you are bored :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home