Imaginary Engineer - Yale SOM '08

Industrial Engineer dreaming of an MBA

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Proficient is sufficient?

I'm not sure if it's a first year thing, or the new curriculum, but the pace of classes accelerated to ludicrous speed in just one week. Even though there aren't any grades, I find myself working harder than I did in undergrad just to keep up with the homeworks/assignments/readings. The good thing about this pace is that I've learned to manage my time significantly better. While I can't party every night now, proper time management will allow me to continue watching my favorite sports (go bears!).

On Friday, the CDO (Career Development Office) sponsored a "Meet the Firms" event where a bunch of companies came by SOM to talk about opportunities for MBA's (internships and full time positions). While I didn't learn anything new at the Consulting booths, I found myself speaking to representatives from the Consumer Packaged Goods and Manufacturing industries and learning more about opportunities available. Some of these companies are bigger than you expect, and it may be easier to find an amazing job in California through these big companies, versus going the consulting career path. Fortunately, I still have time to decide what I want to do, but I probably should make up my mind soon.

BTW, for the international experience, I got my first pick! I will be heading over to China on Jan 3-14. I'm contemplating flying out earlier to possibly spend New Years in China or Hong Kong.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:56 PM, Blogger mbagladiator said…

    I totally hear you on this whole "ludicrous" speed this week.

    I think they are messing with our minds and this is just some sort of right of passage that all MBAs go through. It's rough though. So very rough.

     
  • At 5:48 PM, Blogger Marina said…

    Are you kidding me? I never stopped color coding my Outlook.

    When are you coming to town??

     

Post a Comment

<< Home