Imaginary Engineer - Yale SOM '08

Industrial Engineer dreaming of an MBA

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Laptops Laptops Laptops

One of the requirements for bschool is buying your own laptop. I don't understand how I "need" a laptop, because I got by perfectly fine with a desktop during my undergrad experience. I prefer desktops because they seem more stable and you can get a big monitor with a normal keyboard and mouse. I find cafe's too distracting to get any real work done, and do most of my work at home. Regardless, since I have to get a laptop, I started doing research. A great online resource for comparing laptops is: http://www.notebookreview.com/.

After checking out all the latest specs on the laptops, I found almost any new laptop these days suits my needs. The only things I would use my laptop for are: chatting on aim/email/internet/MS Office. I don't need fancy graphics or the fastest processor. The school offers some discounted deals on Dell's, but after reading online reviews, I definitely would never buy a Dell. After further research, I narrowed down my laptop search to either a Sony Vaio or IBM thinkpad. Both are great brands with good reputations, and would sufficiently meet my needs.

Then I ran across the Sony Vaio S series (older generation to the current SZ models). The Sony Vaio S series used to be the top laptops in Fall 2005, but after the new SZ models came out earlier this year, prices for S series laptops dropped. I think the S and SZ are comparable (SZ has built-in camera/microphone which I don't need), and with current prices, the S series is a tremendous value. What used to cost $2500 last Fall now costs around $1500 online. What really sold me on the S660P/B model, was its sleek design (you have to see how the monitor curves around the hinge), size (around 4 lbs and slim to fit in my backpack), and price ($1399). Even though I really liked some IBM thinkpad laptops, I fell in love with this Sony Vaio S660 because of it's sleek design. Because they were last year's model, they stopped manufacturing this particular laptop. After froogling my way around the internet, I found one website that still has some in its inventory: www.costcentral.com. Most websites and ebay are out of stock, but costcentral still has over 100 in inventory. I would recommend this laptop for anyone interested in a laptop with cool style/size (specs are sufficient too).

9 Comments:

  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger Forrest Gump said…

    the configs of the notebook are really impressive, and for that price, it is a steal. only if i were in the US at this time, i would have snatched one too.

    i actually checked out the website, and here's the direct link for anyone who might want to have a look

    http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/Sony_VAIO_S660P_B/VGNS660PB/K09267/

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Blogger KV said…

    Right now you can get a free ipod + $100 student discount if you buy a MacBook. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I might buy it next time I come back to the States...

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you don't want a lap top, I would check to see if you really truly need one. I am not a big fan of lap tops for some of the same reasons that you outlined. Someone in your study group will have one so unless they make you run programs on your lap top during class, I'd stick to your convictions and not get one unless it's absolutely crucial.

    Deadhedge

     
  • At 5:09 PM, Blogger i_will_make_it said…

    Agree w/ deadhedge. Check if there are any classes at Yale that require a laptop in class - some might. If not and you need to use the computer at school, Yale should have comp labs right?

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger Marina said…

    At CBS we are actually not allowed open laptops during class. The only reason I bought mine is because I am one of those coffee shop study people, so yeah you should definitely check if you actually really need one.

    My only experience with Vaios was at my old job and it was a pretty bad one. I have never had a computer that crashed more...

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Blogger Jerry Blank said…

    Rest assured, you'll need one. Some of our finals required use of a laptop. (Decision Analysis, for example. Trust me, you don't want to have to draw all of those trees by hand!) Also, while most professors don't allow laptops in class, you'll find it handy for all of the group work you'll be doing. (Often, you'll meet your classmates off-campus and will need your laptop.) So you made the right choice in getting a laptop. As an aside, I own both a Sony and a Dell laptop. While I've had some issues with Dell, the Sony has worked brilliantly since I bought it two years ago. One thing to watch out for: the battery. It doesn't last long.

     
  • At 12:13 AM, Blogger Foxy Lady said…

    I am in love with the SZ series too - the advertising on Sonystyle is simply classy. I am a little concerned about the battery life - the FZ series had less then 2 hours. Also I am not sure if the XBRITE screen would mean high reflection. Have you looked at HP? V3000t looks good in spec and styling !!

     
  • At 12:43 AM, Blogger Foxy Lady said…

    Also v3000t = dv2000t

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello,
    Please let me introuce myself. I'm an applicant to Yale for the 2008 MBA, and was hoping to find out more about specific aspects of the course. Could you help me out?

    Regards,
    Sandeep

     

Post a Comment

<< Home